Housing Grants Help Disabled Veterans Live Independently

Grants for new housing and adaptive renovations

These federal grants can be used in a variety of ways, from constructing new housing to adding adaptive renovations to an existing home. The program can even be used to pay the outstanding mortgage on an adapted home—even if the veteran acquired the home through means other than SAH.

Another program—the Special Housing Adaptation grant, or SHA —is designed for smaller and less expensive projects for veterans with disabilities such as blindness or loss of the use of both hands, as well as certain burn injuries and severe respiratory conditions. SHA grants can currently go up to $14,093.

Veterans can use these grants up to three times, with the cumulative total not to exceed the maximum amount allowed.

These programs also provide assistance for veterans who will temporarily live in a family member’s home. The maximum amount available to adapt a relative’s home is $30,934 for an SAH grant and $5,523 for an SHA grant.

Veterans can visit the VA’s website to learn more about the SAH and SHA grant programs, download forms or to find contact information for their VA regional office.

Another grant program, Home Improvements & Structural Alterations, provides up to $6,800 for veterans to modify lavatory facilities and can be used to supplement SAH and SHA grants.

‘It makes me independent’

After living in a pre-existing home that was adapted for his needs, Benn, who served as a machinist mate on the USS Wichita during the Gulf War, realized that new construction was the way to go.

“The money goes a whole lot further than trying to buy an old house and gut it,” he explains.

Benn found a lot in Lithia, FL—just outside of Tampa—and met with a counselor who was overseeing the project. They quickly settled on plans for a four-bedroom, 3,200-square-foot ranch home. Benn worked with the team at Veterans United Home Loans to turn his dream into reality.